List:       wireshark-users
Subject:    Re: [Wireshark-users] Bluetooth Capture & Ubuntu
From:       Guy Harris <guy () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2010-05-27 18:10:56

On May 27, 2010, at 6:14 AM, Alejandro von Mankowski wrote:

> when I start Wireshark in Ubuntu there is no Bluetooth device listed,
> but when I start Wireshark in Fedora it is. Any ideas why this could be?
> They have the same versions installed. Wireshark (1.2.7) libpcap (1.0.0)

It takes more than libpcap and a libpcap-based application to capture traffic - it \
takes, ultimately, support in the kernel for AF_BLUETOOTH SOCK_RAW sockets with \
BTPROTO_HCI as the protocol.  What version of the *kernel* is installed?

It also requires a version of libpcap that was configured to support Bluetooth \
sniffing.  I don't know how Ubuntu configures libpcap, nor whether it has whatever \
package installs the /usr/include/bluetooth include directory, upon which the libpcap \
code to do Bluetooth sniffing depends. \