List:       wireshark-dev
Subject:    [Wireshark-dev] Are Capture Filters Implemented in Software or the Network Card?
From:       X Q <xq1xq1xq1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-11-18 18:53:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

This is a question fairly deep in the guts of Wireshark that I could not
find an answer to.

When a capture filter is implemented are ALL packets sent to
Wireshark/Dumpcap/TShark at the software level for filtering

or

are the packets not matching the filter shedded/ignored by the Network
Interface card itself thus reducing strain on the CPU/Network Fabric?

I look forward to hearing from you!