List:       wireshark-dev
Subject:    Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows HTML Help
From:       Nicolás_Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-06-02 22:25:34

El mié, 2 de jun. de 2021 a la(s) 15:43, Gerald Combs
(gerald@wireshark.org) escribió:

> On 6/1/21 8:08 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
> > On Jun 1, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@wireshark.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I just discovered that the HTML Help Workshop download link at
> > >
> > > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/htmlhelp/microsoft-html-help-downloads
> > >
> > > no longer works, and the Chocolatey package now downloads from archive.org:
> > >
> > > https://community.chocolatey.org/packages/html-help-workshop#files
> >
> > Have Microsoft said anything about deprecating HTML Help in favor either of 1) \
> > some new help mechanism or 2) just use an HTML display tool that you hand the URL \
> > for your product's documentation?
>
> I can't find any official deprecation notice, but it looks like they stopped \
> updating HTML Help Workshop in 2009 and have released two succeeding help systems: \
> Microsoft Help 2[1] and Microsoft Help Viewer[2][3]. Both seem to be tied closely \
> to Visual Studio, and I'm not sure how easy it is to generate content for each \
> format (e.g. Help Viewer topic markup) using our current toolchain.
> [1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Help_2
> [2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Help_Viewer
> [3]https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/extensibility/internals/microsoft-help-viewer-sdk?view=vs-2019

"2003: Microsoft decided not to release Microsoft Help 2 as a general
Help platform. Help 2 remained a Visual Studio Help integration tool."

Basically both succeeding systems ended up being for Microsoft's
internal use and not for third-party apps to use as their main help
system. *Maybe* for when you want your API or plugin docs integrated
with Visual Studio. Windows doesn't really have any viable
offline-help system left.

Maybe Wireshark can ship QtAssistant? :P

--
Nicolás