List:       wireshark-dev
Subject:    Re: [Wireshark-dev] What's the difference between NdisMediumBare80211 (DLT_IEEE802_11) and NdisMediu
From:       Guy Harris <guy () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2016-03-31 2:59:03

On Mar 30, 2016, at 5:09 PM, Yang Luo <hsluoyb@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm adding Native 802.11 capture support to Npcap and demonstrate it on Wireshark. \
> (See: https://github.com/nmap/npcap/releases/download/v0.06-r13/npcap-nmap-0.06-r13-wifi.exe). \
> I found that the there are two 802.11 related values to show the adapter type: \
> NdisMediumBare80211 and NdisMediumRadio80211
>
> And Packet.dll translates them based on the following code:
>
> 	case NdisMediumBare80211:
> 		p->linktype = DLT_IEEE802_11;
> 		break;
>
> 	case NdisMediumRadio80211:
> 		p->linktype = DLT_IEEE802_11_RADIO;
> 		break;
>
> So I want to know which value should I use for native 802.11 capturing?

If you're supplying a radiotap header, so that the packet data begins with a radiotap \
header, use NdisMediumRadio80211.

If you're not supplying any radio metadata, so that the packet data begins with an \
802.11 header, use NdisMediumBare80211.

If you're doing anything else, do one of the two things above instead.