List:       wireless-dc
Subject:    Re: [wireless-dc] Linksys WAP11
From:       Chuck Moss <mossc () mossc ! com>
Date:       2001-11-14 16:33:05

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:22:10AM -0800, jmc wrote:
> Quoting <B Potter <gdead@novawireless.org>> on <Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 10:46:30AM -0500>:
> > Howdy,
> > I've modified the runtime config of the WAP11 via command line tools
> > (snmpset, etc) but I could never get the changes saved across the
> > reload...  Since the changes only take effect after a reload, it did no
> > good at all.
> >
> > Download the MIB and play with SNMP.  If you can get the changes to save,
> > you don't need the windows client any more (except for firware upgrades).

You should be able to sniff the snmp traffic with ethereal and see what is
being sent by the windows app.  This is on my list of things to do when i
get a free evening.

> Sounds like I'll need to become more intimately familiar with SNMP than I
> ever wanted... So then does the device come with a default IP address so
> that SNMP will at least be useable? I guess I could bring it work work, and
> give it an IP address that's on my local net at home if it came down to it.

I think it has a default IP of 192.168.1.250.  I think the problem will be
that no set community string(password) is set.

Also firmware updates require USB support.  The firmware updates for the
wap11 are very worthwhile but may not be neccessary if you only have one
Wap11. (bridging etc)

Chuck