List:       wireguard
Subject:    Tunnels not coming up on reboot
From:       Erik Jerde <erik () jerde ! org>
Date:       2019-04-19 2:07:37

I've got two VMs running Ubuntu 18.10 with wireguard 0.0.20190406-wg1~cosmic \
installed.  I've enabled the Wireguard interface to come up with the systemctl enable \
wg-quick@wg0.service on both systems.  The interface goes up and down as expected \
when using the systemctl start and stop commands.  My problem is that when either of \
the VMs are rebooted the tunnels do not come back up.  The WG command shows that the \
interface is up but there's no handshake/transfer/etc.  On the system that was \
rebooted if I issue a systemctl stop then start command the tunnel comes right up and \
performs as expected.

I'm pretty green with systemctl but this reminds me of problems I've seen with other \
daemons that didn't have all of their needs being met before they started.  In the \
old days of init.d I could fix this but now I'm kinda stuck.  My .service file is \
showing After=network-online.target nss-lookup.target and Wants=network-online.target \
nss-lookup.target.  Is there something more that should be in there?  Any ideas of \
what else might be causing the tunnel to not come up?

Thanks!
Erik