List:       winpt-dev
Subject:    Re: [WINPT DEVELOPERS] 'Diskless' WinPT?
From:       Timo Schulz <twoaday () freakmail ! de>
Date:       2003-07-30 10:02:00

On Wed Jul 30 2003; 08:02, Peter van Heusden wrote:

> I've been looking into the WinPT source code with an eye to developing a
> 'diskless' version of WinPT. The reason for this is that many people I know

I work on a mode which supports this. But it might take some time, because
there are a lot of other issues I need to work on before.

> 1) a WinPT installation that runs off a CD-ROM
> 2) and stores the GnuPG options file and keyring on a floppy disk.

Then you don't need the CD-ROM at all. WinPT is pretty small:
WinPT.exe ~300KB.
PTD.Dll   ~200KB.
GPG.exe   ~600KB.
           =====
          1100KB.
           300KB        remaing for keys and config files.

> There appear to be few barriers to this - most of WinPT can get by fine in
> 'read only' mode. The only hitch that I've found is the use of the
> registry to store settings (all those routines in wptRegistry.cpp).

That's why we need a clean way to implement it. But it's not that difficult.
WinPT would use the default values (hotkeys, options) and no access to
the registry would be needed.

> Hoping to hear from someone.

I will put it on my (very _long_) TODO list.

        Timo

--
Windows Privacy Tools            "Der Tugendhafte begnügt sich, von dem zu
(http://winpt.sourceforge.net)    träumen, was der Böse im Leben verwirklicht."