List:       winpt-dev
Subject:    Re: [WINPT DEVELOPERS] RE: [WINPT USERS] Second inoffical version of 0.7.93
From:       Timo Schulz <timo () lcsweb ! net>
Date:       2002-12-20 9:31:33

On Thu Dec 19 2002; 14:55, Toxik - Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> Asking an end-user to do this defeats any ease of use WinPT brings in
> the first place. It introduces extra steps and extra opportunities to
> clutter the desktop/shortcuts, forget the agent, etc.

Yes, that's true. But if you think of *all* GPG tools and programs
for Windows the agent can make the life of more people easier. And
not only for WinPT users. It also works with GPG-Relay...

I thought of the idea to start the agent if no instance is running
so people don't need to start it (and as a result they can't forget
to do it).

> That's why I had proposed it to be integrated in WinPT. Why can't the
> WinPT binary provide agent services to other applications ? A wild
> idea perhaps... you never know.

If you want to provide services like this for other apps, you need
to think of a lot of things. And I like the unix philosophy "do one
thing and do it well". WinPT is a frontend for GPG and should not
include too much other stuff.

** IMPORTANT **
I forgot to say, that the agent needs to be started _before_ WinPT
was started. Then you need to change the preference item 'caching
time' and the agent is available in the WinPT session.

        Timo