List:       winpcap-users
Subject:    [Winpcap-users] WinPcap x64 preview
From:       "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni () cacetech ! com>
Date:       2008-08-20 23:54:07

In the last weeks I've been working on the port of the user level components
of WinPcap to x64.
The result is an interim build that you can find here

http://www.winpcap.org/install/x64.htm

The page is currently not linked on the WinPcap website.
I plan to update this page with new builds until I'm comfortable with a
WinPcap x64 build.

I encourage anyone interested in x64 to play with this build and report any
problem.

Some important notes (that you can find on the website as well):

- Starting from this build, WinPcap is completely compiled with
  Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (in order to have a single build environment
  for x86 and x64). While the projects for Visual Studio 6 are still
  available in the source package, they are no longer maintained.
- The new VS2005 project files for wpcap.dll and packet.dll have been
  simplified a lot (i.e. less configurations!).
- Big parts of the installer have been rewritten and cleaned up. If
  you encounter any problem installing or removing this build of
  WinPcap with any OS, please let us know.
- The old WanPacket DLL has been removed. The code has been merged
  into packet.dll.
- The developer's pack includes LIB files for both x86 and x64 (for
  Visual Studio). At the moment we don't have the LIB files for
  Cygwin under x64.
- The samples have been ported to Visual Studio 2005, and they
  compile for both x86 and x64 architectures. The old Visual Studio 6
  projects are still available but not actively maintained. A lot of
  them still generate some warnings during the compilation.
- The x64 libraries have been briefly tested with the x64 version of
  the samples, but not with any real-world application, as they
  currently do not exist, with the exception of an internal x64 build
  of WinDump.

Have a nice day

Gianluca Varenni
WinPcap Team