List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: USB drivers via wine?
From:       James Sutherland <jas88 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-01-25 8:55:07

On 25 Jan 2001 paul666@mailandnews.com wrote:

> I found the following messages on a web petition for a
> Linux driver for an Alcatel Speed Touch USB ADSL driver.
>
> :338 - R. C. Lewis - 2001-01-24 22:26:43
>
> :I have successfuly attained a stable Internet connection with BT Openworld
> :and the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem under Linux 2.4 after hacking on the
> :CVS of WINE (www.winehq.com) for a couple of hours.  All you have to do
> :is load up the appropriate dynamically linked libraries and put together
> :a small bridge utility to get the Linux network stack to recognise it.
> :Unfortunately, my employer forbits me from releasing applications or
> :source outside my employment, but I hope that people out there will be
> :able to replicate my efforts.
>
> The petition is here:
> http://www.linuxdude.co.uk/polls/adsl/
> The windows driver is her:
> http://www.alcatel.com/consumer/dsl/supuser.htm
>
> It implements PPPoA.
>
> Could anyone guess what R. C. Lewis might have done exactly, and suggest
> how his results might be reproduced?

I've had some involvement in Wine, so I can guess some of it...

Wine cannot load *drivers* - only normal applications. If he was able to
do this just using Wine, this means the kernel already supports the modem,
and only BT "Open"World's proprietary login system causes problems: Wine
can't do PPPoA, PPPoE or anything USB related, because those are driver
jobs.

As of 2.4, there is a fair amount of USB support, including the generic
"CDC ACM" (written by Vojtech Pavlik, sponsored by SuSE) which supports
many modems and ISDN TAs - since you connect to this ADSL device using
dial-up networking, perhaps it uses this interface?

If so, it's possible it would work directly under Linux - it would just
need a small shell-script, plus whatever "login" crap BT have added.

James.