List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Chinese support in wine?
From:       Howard Chan <hyhchan () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-01-24 3:39:29

Aric Stewart wrote:

> You can often try playing with fonts by modifying your wine/config file.
> (or .winerc)
> for example when i am working on japanese support i add the following
> lines to my [fonts] section
>
> Default=-jis-fixed-
> DefaultSerif=-jis-fixed-
> DefaultSansSerif=-jis-fixed-
> DefaultFixed=-jis-fixed-
> Alias0=Adobe Times , -jis-fixed-
> Alias1=Adobe Helvetica , -jis-fixed-
> Alias2=Fixed , -jis-fixed-
> Alias3=Lucida , -jis-fixed-

Tried that. Still nothing but blank rectangles.

Actually, I'm curious in how wine pick the font. Is it try to deduce
that from code page? And how does it know what X font to choose if I
specify CP950?

> if you change -jis-fixed- to your chinese x font (-isas-song ti- is one
> i think) then you will be sure to be using the right font and can see if
> that is the problem. The problem may be that wine is not picking the
> right default fonts.

-isas-song ti- is a GB font, which is used in Communist China (zh_CN).
Taiwan and Hong Kong (zh_TW and zh_HK) uses big5 fonts *-big5-0 which is
not included in the standard XFree86 distribution.

One thing that may be of interest. xselfont cannot display my Chinese
fonts also (just blank on the sample text area), but mozilla and
windowmaker can use it without problem.

I'll do more experiment on it .....

Howard