List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Fixes for unaligned memory accesses
From:       Alexandre Julliard <julliard () winehq ! com>
Date:       2000-12-29 22:33:47

Ulrich Weigand <weigand@immd1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> Would you prefer, then, to have things like endianness be decided
> by explicit check for certain, named, architectures instead of
> via a generic configure check?  We could have a section in, say,
> windef.h setting those defines, e.g.
>
> #if defined(__i386__)
> #undef WORDS_BIGENDIAN
> #undef BITFIELDS_BIGENDIAN
> #define ALLOW_UNALIGNED_ACCESS
> #elif defined(__sparc__)
> #define WORDS_BIGENDIAN
> #define BITFIELDS_BIGENDIAN
> #undef ALLOW_UNALIGNED_ACCESS
> #else
> #error Unknown CPU architecture!
> #endif

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. This way we can use the exact same
headers on any platform.

> Well, but on which embedded system do you want to run Wine? ;-) Every
> system powerful enough to run Wine should also be able to run the
> compiler and toolchain ...

A trimmed down Wine should be able to run on a pretty low-end machine,
and while the compiler could in theory run there too, you definitely
don't want to do all your development this way...

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard@winehq.com