List:       wine-devel
Subject:    TransGaming DirectX Release
From:       Gavriel State <gav () transgaming ! com>
Date:       2000-12-27 18:34:50

Hi Everyone,

Several months ago, I promised that wine-devel folks would be among the first
to know what TransGaming Technologies has been up to.  While we're not ready to
make a big PR push at this point, we wanted to make sure that everyone involved
in Wine is up to speed with what we're doing.

Our goal is nothing less than 100% compatibility for running Windows games on
Linux through Wine.

So - we've been working hard on revamping the DirectX code within Wine to fully
support the Direct3D 7 APIs, as well as substantially restructuring the
DirectDraw code.  So far, we've been able to get most of the core Direct3D
7 sample apps up and running, as well as some major game titles (Sacrifice),
and the 3DMark2000 benchmark.  We've implemented most of the code D3D features,
including multitexturing, stencil buffers, alpha blending, fog, etc.  We're
still working on optimizations such as holding D3D Vertex Buffers in video
memory for quick access to hardware T&L.

On the DirectDraw side, we've unified the code in the the x11 and DGA drivers
into a new more OO design, separating direct use of xlib from the core code.
We've added an 'update thread' which should make non-DGA use almost as good
as DGA, especially when combined with some of contextual smarts in the GDI
x11 driver Ove submitted a few weeks ago to speed up DIBsections.  We still have
some work to do on this front, since DGA support hasn't yet been integrated
into our new design.

Initially, the Direct3D code will be released with limited redistribution
rights under the Aladdin Free Public License - it will not be available
under the Wine license. The DirectDraw code will be made available under
the Wine license, and we should be submitting a patch with that code
within a couple of days.

In 2001, we will be setting up a subscription service that allows users to vote
on the games they would most like to see working.  Users who pay will be
allowed to vote on what we work on next - essentially a variant of the Street
Performer Protocol (http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue4_6/kelsey/).
Once a set number of users have subscribed to the service we will release
the code under the Wine license.   After the initial code is released under
the Wine license, so will all subsequent patches, assuming we retain a set
minimum number of subscriptions.

You can get the AFPLed code from our web site (http://www.transgaming.com/)
now.  Once we have some feedback on the 2D side of things, we'll send a
patch to wine-patches for release under the Wine license.

Happy Holidays!
 -Gav

--
Gavriel State, CEO