List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: async serial patch - use the service thread for async IO
From:       Alexandre Julliard <julliard () winehq ! com>
Date:       2000-11-30 23:37:42

Mike McCormack  <mike_mccormack@looksmart.com.au> writes:

> How about "promoting" a handle and it's data from inside a service
> thread to the wineserver process if it is duplicated? Only pay the
> performance penalty if necessary...

But then you need a way to modify the handle table of a process from
another one; and to avoid race conditions you'll need to add some
synchronization mechanism, which I'm not convinced will really be
faster than what we have now.

A better approach would be to have a way to copy data to another
process address space faster than with ptrace (a block-oriented ptrace
if you will); then we could do all the I/O in the server with a
minimal performance penalty.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard@winehq.com