List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: ERR to WARN
From:       Andreas Mohr <amohr () codeweavers ! com>
Date:       2000-10-31 6:02:14

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 11:47:55AM -0800, Francois Gouget wrote:
>    This patch replaces the ERR with a WARN as I proposed in the above
> report. Here's the why of it:
>
>    For ERR the Wine developper guide says 'Messages in this class relate
> to serious errors in Wine.'. But from my (additional) tests
> (inWine&Win98), and if I understand the situation correctly, Wine
> behaves correctly: it allocates a new DC each time and the old DC is
> still usable. So I say this should rather be a WARN: 'You should report
> a warning when something unwanted happen but the function behaves
> properly.'
>

> Changelog:
>
>    Francois Gouget <fgouget@codeweavers.com>
>
>  * windows/dce.c
>    Replace ERR("GetDC() without ReleaseDC()") with warn since we do the
> right thing

Hmm, I beg to kind of disagree.

Sure, this can be considered as something suitable for a WARN()
as we do the right thing in *handling* this error condition,
but on the other hand this can easily point to a forgotten ReleaseDC()
after a GetDC() within Wine, just as with forgotten unlocks after a lock,
which result in very visible crst timeouts.

IMO we should not silence it at this time.
After all we're still alpha.

Well, after all I'd say I vote for an ERR() for the time being :)

Andreas Mohr