List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Header files that conflict with UNIX headers
From:       George Boutwell <gboutwel () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-10-29 20:18:23

--- David Elliott <dfe@infinite-internet.net> wrote:
> >   This is probably just for your information, but
> as I
> > understand it.
> >
> > crtdll.dll only came with the very first version
> of
> > Windows 95, all subsequent version of Win95 (A, B,
> C,
> > OSR2, OSR2a, etc) either didn't have it at all, or
> had
> > msvcrt.dll
> >

> Umm, negative.  CRTDLL is still included in Windows
> 98SE.  However I think
> you may be right that it is not used by anything,
> but MSVCRT is used
> instead.  According to MSDN, MSVC(++) 6 links
> against one of 6 C runtime
> libraries.  The first two are release and debug
> versions of a
> STATICLY LINKED LIBC(D).LIB which are not MT safe.
> The next two are release
> and debug versions of another staticly linked, but
> MT safe LIBCMT(D).LIB.
> Finally, there are the MSVCRT(D).LIB import
> libraries for MSVCRT.DLL.  No
> where does it mention CRTDLL.

Yeah... Sorry got a little mixed-up there.  The
problem we had was missing the msvcrt (assuming to was
installed by Windows, when infact it's not, in the
case of a First version of Windows 95).

Also, another difference I believe I've heard before
is that MSVCRT.DLL bring MS closer to having a POSIX
'compatible' run-time library.

> AFAIK, CRTDLL is an older implementation that had
> bugs relating to
> MT safeness (i.e. It was supposed to be safe but
> fell short in some cases).
> IMHO implementing CRTDLL is not a very high
> priority, while implementing a
> reliable C library (MSVCRT) is.  However, if it
> works out that the
> MSVCRT implementation can be used to implement most
> or all of CRTDLL, then
> I think that would be a reasonable thing to do.

Agreed.  I haven't seen many (if any) apps that
use/need CRTDLL.DLL, but I have run into some apps
that needed MSVCRT.DLL (and in some situations where
it wasn't there and the installer didn't put it on the
system either.)

Sorry for the confusion, guess that'll teach me to
shoot my mouth off... :(

George