List:       wine-devel
Subject:    TrueType fonts and GetFontData
From:       David.Goodenough () dga ! co ! uk
Date:       2000-08-31 21:51:36

I am trying to get IBM Websphere Studio working, and although I am making
good progress I hit an odd problem with GetFontData, and I wondered why it
is implemented as it is.

The problem appears when I invoke one of Studio's wizards, and all the
characters appear as solid black blocks.  At the same time two messages
appear saying that GetFontData is only implemented as a stub.  Looking in
objects/font.c I notice that GetFontData, unlike all the other TrueType
only functions, sets unimplemented as the last error with GDI_ERROR, rather
than simply saying there is no data (as for instance the TrueType metrics
or the GetFontLanguageInfo APIs do).

Is there a reason why this is implemented this way?

Next I need to get the bottom of why Studio is trying to use TrueType fonts
in the first place, and where is got the idea there were any, but that I
think I will leave till the morning - its getting late.