List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: WOW_VDM
From:       David.Goodenough () dga ! co ! uk
Date:       2000-08-31 16:08:04

Well, I tried your suggestion, and found out that the DLL that was being
registered was trapping, although the reason was not obvious from the
trace.

So I remembered that regapi also has a registerDLL function, and tried
that.  Lo and behold it complained of a missing DLL.  So I went to the W98
system from which I had borrowed regsvr32 and loaded Studio up on that (the
install went perfectly).  From this I would surmise that regsvr32 takes a
cavalier attitude to exceptions.  Maybe we need our own that checks for
such things and reports them sensibly.

I then copied the missing DLL, and two others that also appeared to be
missing, from the W98 system and tried again.  The install (InstallShield
based) failed again, but this time when I reran regapi with the registerDLL
command on the two DLLs I had found in the product that had
DllRegisterServer entrypoints (isn't grep a wonderful thing) they now
installed and WebSphere Studio now appears to work.

The only other thing I had noticed along the way is that when I went back
into the installer, and when I go into a file dialog on Studio, if I
started with an installation path of c:\websphere\studio and am trying to
reach say the bin subdirectory, what gets displayed is
c:\\\websphere\\studio\bin, and it then gaggs on it.  Whether it is in the
registry code, or in the code that converts windows file names to linux
(and vica verca) I know not, and I seem to remember their being some
discussion on a possibly related topic recently on this list.  So if anyone
is looking at that kind of area in the code, it might be worth checking for
this problem as well.

Regards

David