List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Remaning Dlls
From:       Albert den Haan <oponvybl () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-08-28 19:28:49

We (Corel) ducked this issue by installing our .so's and .dll's to nonstandard \
directories to we couldn't trample a wine-hq installation if on existed (or arrived \
later).

This has the joyous side effect of hiding the version skew between the corelwine's \
released with WPO2000 and DRAW.

Check out our DRAW and Paint launching shell script (/usr/bin/* files are symlinks to \
it) for where we prefix LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the proper library directory.

This allowed us to stick with the cannonical names (I hate to waste your work so \
far!:) and co-exist with other wine installations.

	Albert.

> Michael Cardenas wrote:
>
> Hello again.
>
> I'm working on renaming our versions of the wine libs, so that the corel and deneba \
> installations do not break each other. My question is, what is the right way to do \
> this?
> I have been working for a week on changing shell32.dll to cv7shell32.dl, or really \
> changing libshell32.so to libcv7shell23.so
> I did it by doing the following:
> 1. changing the directory name from shell32 to cv7shell32
> 2. modifying the following files to refer to cv7shell32
> /wine/Makefile.in
> /wine/dlls/Makefile.in
> /wine/dlls/cv7shell32/Makefile.in
> /wine/dlls/cv7shell32/shell32.spec
> /wine/configure
> (applicationDir)/.winerc
> 3. changing all attempts to LoadLibrary("shell32.dll") to \
> LoadLibrary("cv7shell32.dll")
> but it still didn't work! Not only did the library not get loaded, but other \
> libraries also did not load after changing the name of the lib.
> I suspect this is going to be a problem for anyone else who is going to make \
> winelib applications. I think it's so common that we should have a configure option \
> for it.

Our "configure option" is to build the libraries into an out-of-the-way place.  Look \
at the existing --prefix option of configure.  IIRC we used \
--prefix=/usr/lib/corel/wine-$application.  In the future we will use \
--prefix=/opt/corel instead to match the latest version of the file system standard.

Another potential gotcha is the location and name of the .winerc file and the .wine \
directory.  Alexandre seems to have some ideas on how to evolve Wine-hq beyond the \
current two environment variable approach (WINEPREFIX and WINE_INI) to have the \
.winerc reside *in* the .wine directory so one environment variable can indicate what \
configuration to use.

I hope that any evolution could include a two location approach so that we can have a \
master winerc file somewhere visible to all that users could override in their .wine \
directories if they wanted.  I might end up coding this RSN before Alexandre gets it \
right in a way that will be hard for us to migrate to :)

> What are your thoughts or suggestions on this? Any help would be greatly \
> appreciated.
> Thank You,
> Michael Cardenas
> Deneba Software