List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: BINDIR inside the C code is harmful
From:       Alexandre Julliard <julliard () winehq ! com>
Date:       2000-07-29 18:42:55

Veksler Michael <mveksler@techunix.technion.ac.il> writes:

> I found out that there are several places inside wine's C code that use
> the BINDIR macro. This is not good and leads to strange behavior when I
> try to run wine before properly installing it in /usr/local (yes, I set up
> PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to prefer my temporary directories first).

If the default /usr/local causes you trouble, you can always use
configure --prefix when building your local copy of Wine.

> Instead, I suggest detecting the BINDIR during the initialization of wine.
> Using argv[0] of wine's main it is possible to figure out where wine
> executable came from.

Not reliably, no. It may work for wine itself, but it certainly won't
work for Winelib apps which may be installed anywhere. We are using
argv[0] now to make it easier to run Wine in place without installing
it, but this is only to help development, it's not a foolproof
solution.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard@winehq.com