List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: InternetCheckConnection
From:       Francois Gouget <fgouget () psn ! net>
Date:       2000-07-28 6:39:52

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 10:14:25AM -0500, Aric Stewart wrote:
[...]
> How to check network connections:
>
> Parse output of:
> 	/sbin/ifconfig	- for occurences of ppp*, eth* or similar.
> 			- for occurences of non 127.* addresses.

    You may have these on a non-connected lan.

> 	/sbin/route -n 	- dito

    Maybe the method that has the most chances of returning the correct
result would be to look for a default route in the output of 'route'.  I
think the way to recognize it is to look for:
 - a genmask of 0.0.0.0
 - check that the Flags contain 'U'

    I don't know how portable this is. 'route' may return things in a
different format on Solaris for instance. In particular I've seen
Solaris machines for which 'route' returns nothing and yet they have a
functional internet access. I'm still puzzled by this one.
    On Linux you can also parse /proc/net/route, not that it's more
portable, but it saves the creation of a process.

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
                            -- from some indian guy