List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: modification for supporting DBCS text
From:       Ove Kaaven <ovehk () ping ! uio ! no>
Date:       2000-06-30 16:02:45

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, TAKESHIMA Hidenori wrote:

> Hello.
>
> > Is it really needed to introduce new hacks for DBCS support?
> > Wine now have support for code pages including DBCS.
> Unfortunately, we should add many hacks, and this hack is
> not enough to display DBCS text.
> We must handle two fonts for displaying DBCS text.
> - SBCS font(ASCII etc. native SBCS in Japanese and Korean. Sorry, I don't know \
>                 about Chinese codepages.)
> - DBCS font(must be converted to ISO 2022, not the native codepages in Windows but \
> the codepage used in mail, hypertext, etc.)

Actually, Internet Explorer 4 does convert through codepages; it installs
its own Internet-specific codepages, I think. Go into your registry, find
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Charset\iso-2022 or whatever. The value
"InternetEncoding" is the number of the Windows codepage Internet
Explorer, MS Outlook, MS Exchange, or whatever, uses for that encoding.
Implement that codepage, use it in the X11 driver, and then there'll be no
more hacks.