List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Canvas7.0b3.0 / Re: message.c patch
From:       "Matthew J. Francis" <mfrancis () plus ! net ! uk>
Date:       2000-05-31 19:20:19

On Wed, 31 May 2000, michael cardenas wrote:

> Actually, this patch mirrors how Windows works. PeekMessage in windows is
> supposed to be smart, so that if you have a PeekMessage loop for your main
> message loop, you don't hog the CPU. Anyway, it works for us, you'll notice
> that Canvas only takes up 5% cpu when it's idle.

Actually I guess my question was more "Why do ELF executable and PE executable
from the same source behave so differently" than "Is this patch correct". PE
binary from the same source behaves itself perfectly under Wine [with no
external DLLs], idling at the correct speed for an IO-waiting process (0+delta,
definitely not 5% CPU...).

In other words, although throttling the loop will lower the CPU load. I'd
expect it effectively to just block waiting for events?

At some point I'll have to compile JWPCE again to investigate further, but
work doesn't allow at this exact moment. A lot has obviously changed
anyway since I last tried...

Cheers,
-Matt.