List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: SOVERSION = 1.0
From:       Alexandre Julliard <julliard () winehq ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 0:33:02

Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Now, changing that line for the FreeBSD port is trivial, however I noticed
> that in dlls/*/Makefile.in we have tons of similiar assignments! Wouldn't
> it be better to just have the single definition in the top-level Makefile
> and inherit it in dlls/*/Makefile?

The idea is that dll versions can evolve independently; you don't want
to change the version of all dlls everytime you make an incompatible
change to one of them. Given that we don't use versioning when loading
dlls it's probably not that important though.

> If that's okay, what's the best way to implement it? Just remove the
> definitions in the subdirectories?
>
> If not, what do you suggest? (Recall, currently it doesn't work at all!)

John Sheets is working on adding libtool support, which will probably
take care of this issue. So I'd suggest waiting for that.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard@winehq.com