List:       wine-devel
Subject:    RE: pthread again
From:       Patrik Stridvall <ps () leissner ! se>
Date:       2000-04-27 8:41:43

>  I am wondering if anyone else out there is using the patch
> submitted a
> short time ago,
>  that actually uses pthreads to implement wine threads?

No, I doesn't work on Solaris. See below.

>  One of its main advantages for me, is that because gdb understands
> pthreads, I now have
>  a very workable debugger, especially when debugging threaded
> applications
> that use winelib.

Yes, the same is true for dbx on Solaris.

Wine currently works under dbx the problem is that single step
doesn't work, since Wine doesn't use pthreads
it doesn't understand that the application is multithreaded
and does the wrong thing. Breakpoints work fine though,
regardless on which thread that hits the breakpoint.

Unfortunetely Wine with pthreads on Solaris doesn't work. See below.

>  It works well for me, on red hat releases 6.0 through 6.2,
> so my question
> is, why aren't more
>  people clamoring for it.

Don't know, I don't run Wine on Linux very much.

BTW, doesn't pthreads on Linux us the gs register?
It does on Solaris.

Doesn't that cause any problems? Of course
most applications doesn't use the gs register
but some might.

> It would seem to me, that on
> non-linux platforms,
> such as sun, where
>  there is pthreads, it would seem an ideal solution for
> winelib there as
> well.

Well, if you link Wine with pthread on Solaris 2.6,
and run it, the kernel crashes and if you are lucky
the machine reboots by itself.

This problem was reported to Sun by Ulrich IIRC a long time ago.
However it is still true for Solaris 2.6 even with the latest
kernel updates. I haven't tested with Solaris 7 and 8 though.