List:       wine-devel
Subject:    wine killing X server in init...
From:       michael cardenas <mbc () deneba ! com>
Date:       2000-04-25 19:35:58

I just wanted to run this by you guys and see if you have any ideas. This
is the nastiest bug we've been sent since distributing canvas.

I've tried this on two different installations of RH 6.1 (actually KRUD,
which is RH6.1 with the latest
updates and security enhancments). I'm using the SVGA server on both, one
on a Voodoo3 card,
the other on a NeoMagic-based laptop.

On both systems, Canvas attempts to start, builds its font info, prints
"X11 error - ignoriging" and
then kills the X server. Nasty. I don't have any other Wine applications
running - I don't do Windows,
so Canvas is the only app I run that makes use of Wine. If you have a debug
mode I can enable I'll
try to produce more info, but the X server crashes don't leave the xterms
running where I started
canvas. I can try redirecting stdout/stderr to a file.

Note: I really wish you would have done a native port. By the time Wine
stabilizes (never,
considering how Win API's change) you could have ported the UI over to a
native app. Ah well.

------------------
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse
http://graphics-muse.org

Also, does wine have any special problems with slackware7? I have been
working one on one with a woman at u.mich who has slackware and wine
crashes in menu init. I have a stack trace from her if anybody wants to
lend a hand with that.

thanks guys!
michael

Michael Cardenas