List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Hanging Messagebox instead of debugger
From:       "eric pouech" <eric.pouech () lemel ! fr>
Date:       2000-03-29 13:28:28

>At 01:30 PM 3/29/00 +0200, you wrote:
>>since some time, programs when crashing no more bring up the debugger
>>but try to display a messagebox in
>>win32/except.c:UnhandledExceptionFilter.
>>The contend of messagebox isn't displayed and wine hangs:
><snip>
>
>Yes I have seen it too.
>BTW this *is* the 'correct' behaviour; when there is no just-in time
debugger
>installed, Windows (TM) displays a message box on any unhandled
exception.
>(the hanging is well, a wine add-on; although it's also common with
win9x)
>Now, if this is really the reason, no comment :-(
yes and no. the previous behavior was to start the wine internal
debugger when an exception occured
this has been removed in the process of modifying the debugger (moving
its interface from the UNIX signal handlers to the Windows debugging
API)
the fixes :
- not the best one, but start all your programs with -debug so that
debugger is started
- wait a bit: I have a standalone version (separate executable) for the
wine debugger in my tree that I shall be releasing soon, and which shall
 support this (among other things). But this will require that the
following points are fixed first :
- DebugActiveProcess to return a correct context (not a dummy one).
Unfortunately, Alexandre didn't fully accept my implementation of it :-(

- have the winedebugger be a separate process (almost done)
- start an external app when an unhandled exception occurs in a process

As a comparison, the Windows behavior (as explained by Ulrich a few
months ago) is to start a specific app (like DrWatson) when an unhandled
 exception occurs in a program... this is not yet in place, only the
message box is present. Wine should launch its own debugger (or just
display the messagebox) in this situation

it is not also a correct point that the message box hangs (i've seen it
before, but haven't investigated further)

A+