List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: WINE<->Samba integration
From:       Steve Langasek <vorlon () dodds ! net>
Date:       2000-03-28 22:07:50

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Jean-Claude Batista wrote:

> Hi,

> To use Wine with Samba, theses were the proposed solutions.

> 1) Use Netserv/libmwn.
> 2) Use Smbwrapper.

> Using smbwrapper would be a better long term solution because it's more
> portable and has a better integration with Samba. However it requires
> Samba to be compiled --with-smbwrapper support and it doesn't work with
> glibc2.1 yet.

However, by the sound of things libmwn provides its own wrapper around the
system FS calls.  Have I understood correctly?  If this is the case, then
surely, whatever method was used to make libmwn work with glibc2.1 will
also be applicable to smbwrapper.

> I believe it is not a good idea to assume that all the users will have
> smbwrapper support. Right now, Netserv/libmwn sounds like a better
> alternative.

The Corel Linux team has opted to use a security model in netserv/libmwn
which assumes a single-user machine and no remote access.  In their case,
this makes some (limited) amount of sense because they are clearly
targetting a desktop market.  However, Wine has a different, broader
market, and I think it would be a bad idea to include netserv/libmwn in
Wine without significant modifications.

Of course, the Corel team has somewhat different goals than the Wine team
as a whole, and it may be advantageous for them to release a slightly
unsafe version of Wine now and deal with the security issues later; but I
certainly hope the Wine team would address these issues *before* including
netserv support in the main distribution.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer