List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: wineinstall patch
From:       Steven Elliott <elliotsl () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2000-02-28 5:19:33

Ove Kaaven wrote:

> With all these guys with "can't find libwine.so", I thought a
> tools/wineinstall addition would be in order. How about this, which would
> (hopefully) add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf if necessary?
>
> (should I remove the xpm leftovers from last time first, though?)
>
> Log:
>         Check for Xpm headers and adds /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf
>         if necessary.

[stuff deleted]

> +  if [ -f /etc/ld.so.conf ] && ! grep -qs "/usr/local/lib" /etc/ld.so.conf
> +  then {
> +    echo
> +    echo "/usr/local/lib didn't exist in your /etc/ld.so.conf, adding it now..."
> +    echo /usr/local/lib >>/etc/ld.so.conf
> +    echo "Re-running ldconfig..."
> +    ldconfig
> +  }
> +  fi
[stuff deleted]

I think this patch makes a lot of sense, but editing ld.so.conf worries
me.  If ld.so.conf gets corrupted it can prevent the system from
booting.  Also, it could be a bit of a security hole on a system where
/usr/local/lib contains various experimental libraries that most
executables should not link against.

Would it be sufficient to append /usr/local/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
warn the user to do the same before using wine in the future?
--
Steven Elliott (elliotsl@mindspring.com)