List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Relocation info and cygwin tools
From:       Peter Dufault <dufault () hda ! com>
Date:       2000-02-27 15:51:22

For the archives, as an answer to how to generate relocateable
.EXE files for wine using the cygwin tool chain:

Generating PE images with .reloc sections under cygwin is similar to
building .DLLs.

Today this requires passes of the assembler, multiple passes of
the linker, running "dlltool", and partial stripping of the output.
(The partial stripping  is needed because otherwise wine starts
complaining about unknown relocation types and asking if you're
running on a MIPS processor - I'll probably have to sort this out
also to be able to debug the .EXE files)
I have a poor shell script to do this stuff.

However, "real soon now" a new release of the cygwin tools
will be out that supports doing this properly via the gcc command line. I'm
going to test that out.  Anyone in the future needing to do this
should verify that the cygwin toolset they use supports "gcc -shared"
to build .DLLs.  My current hack is poor because there is no easy
way to slip it into the cygwin tool build process.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval