List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: DIB problems and the faulthandler
From:       Bradley Baetz <bbaetz () student ! usyd ! edu ! au>
Date:       2000-01-30 1:29:43

Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> Unfortunately, if the app alias-maps the same buffer twice, this guess
> is outsmarted :-/

Hmm. It appears to be just this one app though. Hopefully.

> > My original DrawDibDraw decompressed to a buffer, and then called
> > StretchDIBits, and this worked for some apps, but not others. I have to
> > move to CreateDIBSection for other reasons, and this fixed some apps,
> > but several other apps I have display the same gray with a few bits of
> > color. They're not dibs according to the tests in
> > X11DRV_UpdateDIBSection, but its the same symptoms. One of them
> > specifically works fine the first time, but when you open another movie
> > (or even the same one) it doesn't work...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here ...  If we don't have a DIB section
> in the first place, the Wine hack is not necessary at all.
> So if you see the same symptoms with regular bitmaps, then the problem
> must lie somewhere else ...

I think the problem may be somewhere else. I have lots of apps which
have the same symptom - ie the output is grey, with a few splotches of
color which change when I play the app.

Some apps are like that with native and builtin dlls. Some are only
wrong with my builtin stuff, so that's probably my bug, although I don't
know why it works for some apps but not others... I may just be doing
things lightly differently to the way microsoft's mciavi stuff wants it.

If you want to reproduce a slightly different, but maybe related bug,
grab ivi_play from
http://support.intel.com/support/technologies/multimedia/indeo/developer/iviplay.htm
which includes source. Run with native msvideo dlls. Open an avi, then
open another one, (or the same one). The first time its fine, the second
time its not.

[snip another way of doing it]

> If the app *doesn't* conform strictly to this pattern, we'd lose again.
> (Of course, we could combine both approaches ...)

Well, this app (Virtualdub) only uses bitblt functions from the gdi. I
could force an update in drawdibdraw, but that wouldn't help in all
cases.

> > Oh, and does anyone know why I can't get line numbers in the debugger
> > when I crash?
>
> Strange.  Do you mean Wine source or Windows app source?

Wine source. All the stuff I'm doing is in calls from 16 bit app at the
moment. I can't examine/set variables, etc. I do a make install first -
does this strip something? Some of the line numbers are there (for
things like callTo16), but not much else.

Bradley