List:       wine-devel
Subject:    RE: best way to handle gdi objects cleaning
From:       Patrik Stridvall <ps () leissner ! se>
Date:       1999-12-27 9:53:09

> At 11:36 PM 12/26/99 +0100, you wrote:
> >I see, the 1x1 monocrome bitmap is _shared_ between all DC.
> >This is very intresting since I guess that it can be
> >changed even though it can only have two states. :-)
> >

> I just tried to set the dimensions of the bitmaps using
> SetBitmapDimensionsEx and it worked;

OK, I forgot that you could change the dimension of a bitmap.

> after deleting
> the handle, I still get the same dimensions; if I restart
> the application, and even if I restart my NT session (login
> again), the dimensions of the bitmap are never reset by
> Windows.

I'm not suprised.

> I have not tried to actually set the bits in it and see
> if it can be used for some (absolutely crazy) memory
> sharing  scheme ;-). Maybe I will try next year,
> nothing beats Windows for a bit of fun...

Hmm, is so, should we support this behavior in Wine?

You know it is a usable (mis)feature even though it
seriously voilate the Windows API specification.

Of course only seriously twisted programmers would
use it, but then such programmers do exist unfortunately.

As you said yourself, bug for bug compatibillity.
Eventhough in this case it is just a misfeature,
the programmer at Micrsoft that did this
are probably aware of this behavior,
but what could he do without changing
the arguments to CreateCompatibleDC
or breaking SelectObject by returning NULL.