List:       wine-devel
Subject:    RE: Sourcecode file headers (was Thought on copyrights)
From:       Patrik Stridvall <ps () leissner ! se>
Date:       1999-11-30 9:08:10

> As it is now pointed out (by Patrik Stridvall) that the
> code writer has the copyright to the code, even if it
> is not mentioned in the file AND after reading several
> other comments on that topic I came in to conclusion that
> having some sort of static file headers will be a good
> idea, or?

Having a static (common?) file header is a good idea,
however we should think very carefully about what it
should contain.

> One thing to consider : It is not hard to imagine the
> situation where person X gets only file Y from Wine source
> tree. As I pointed out that there is big bunch of files with
> with "Copyright 199x by Firstname Lastname" header,
> there was also files with no header at all.

Yes that is true, but the only thing _we_ could use
it for is as proof if the sue somebody, and if
we for some reason have a case it is likely that
the header was removed/changed to avoid its use as proof.

Of course if somebody got a file and used it legally
he might be help by the fact it came from the Wine project,
but there is no reason to do it just for that, since
that somebody can add a header refering to the Wine project
himself.

> IMO, there should be some note that the file is part
> of Wine project with all the information needed.

I think it is unnnessary but if _you_ do that work,
it is _your_ time. However, please discuss the header
format on the list first.

> What comes to development process, it might be a good
> idea to have kind of a "Maintainers" list or "Main
> contributors" list for every file, that people who
> are going to fix something on the file or maybe
> just have some ideas on something, could easily see
> that who is dealing with that file and could contact
> the person if needed.

I don't think having a maintainer list in each file
is a good idea. However having a global one like
Linux has or perhaps even one in each directory
might be acceptable.

> Other thing is that how hard it is to maintain the
> "Maintainers" list or also that is it against the
> "Wine spirit" that there is such a maintainers list,
> I don't know.

I have no problem with that at all.