List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch for filedlg95.c
From:       "Juergen Schmied" <juergen.schmied () debitel ! net>
Date:       1999-11-29 20:34:22

Hi!

>Any problems, errors or omissions please let me
know.

It's me like usual:

There is still a _major_ design flaw in the
dialog: a IShellBrowser is a namespace browser
and is not supposed to know _anything_ of the
underlying structure of the namespace as
example(!!!) the filesystem. The namespace is
not per definition a filesystem so using file
functions is wrong for such purposes. A part of
the namespace could also be as example the
object hierarchy of streams in a structured ole
storage.

Creating a new folder as example is a predefined
verb in the shellview background context menu.

Creating a new folder is as simple as sending a
message with the right command id to the
shellview which forwards it somehow to the
shellfolder what is the only part of the whole
construction with knowledge about physical
accessing objects like files.
(eg. I moved recently the knowledge about
physical object attributes (columns of the view)
out of the shellview into the shellfolder, move
the code for manipulating the objects to the
folder is one of the next steps)

This way to do it makes it harder to get
namespace extensions like the "my documents"
folder running.

Using some thing like the my documents folder
would be a clean way to avoid confronting the
UNIX user with the WINDOWS drive letters - I
remember you having a patch to hack the
filesystem functions according to this. Windows
2000 goes this way hiding the physical storage
(harddisk or network and syncing between,
rooming profiles) from the user.

Ok, fairly, this is not a major problem for the
users so I don't disagree with applying this
patch as quick fix but don't be surprised if I
start fixing things again.

Bye

Juergen

---