List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re : Re: starting to split the multimedia DLLs
From:       eric.pouech () lemel ! fr (eric pouech)
Date:       1999-08-27 7:08:28

well, my first proposal was to put the drv in subdirectories of the mmsystem
/winmm dll tree (since they are drivers only used by those DLLs), but it
doesn't reach a consensus (there were in fact two sub dirs in the mmsystem/
winmm dir, one holding all the mci drivers, another one for the low level
drivers.
basically, there are three alternatives:
- flat one under wine/dlls/ (the one below)
- wine/dlls/winmm with two subdirs dlls/winmm/mcidrv (with one subdir for
each mci driver) and dlls/winmm/lldrv (with one subdir for each low level
driver: OSS, wave mapper, midi mapper...)
- wine/dlls/winmm with one subdir dlls/winmm/drv (with one subdir for each
mci and low level driver)
- wine/drvs as proposed by Bertho. Anyway, a .drv is a DLL (from a technical
 point of view), but also expose some specific APIs. Could be also done. One
 advantage of this method is that this could ease the handling in the build
process (if something specific is needed for drivers on top of DLLs)

technically, the four alternative are equivalent. from an organization point
 of view the second and third stress the link between components of the
multimedia sub system. The fourth stresses the point that some of those
components are drivers.
(anyway, I don't like much the dlls/ dir growing and growing with its
current flat structure, so i'd favor the second or third one. The fourth one
 could also be an alternative. I don't have anything against it)