List:       wine-devel
Subject:    dialog file format in .exe resource section ?
From:       Caolan McNamara <Caolan.McNamara () ul ! ie>
Date:       1999-07-30 14:09:34

This is yet another halfbaked query that i have, im pretty interested in
fileformats in general and by happenchance I was looking into the ne and pe
win .exe formats and was surprised to see just how much info was stored in
them. I've never been a windows programmer so I wasn't expecting to see such
amounts of structured storage speced in the .exe format, anyhow i busily went
about writing a linux ne/pe resource dumper, extracting the .ico .cur and
standard dib/bmp resources in the resource table. The actual question I'm
wondering about is the dialog resources. visual c++ is able to extract the
dlg info from a binary and display what the dialog would look like, is the
file format for the dialogs specified anywhere public ? Are they serialized
win api calls or something else entirely ?

In the absence of information on the topic, i was going to take a look at
winerc and see what the relationship between .res files and the final form
in the .exe is. I'm personally even pretty hazy on what a resource file is,
and what its place in the whole setup is but I imagine that dialog layouts
are stored in resource files before being transmogrified into the resource
table part of the .exe ? Is this the case, or am i way way out here ?

I know this is not a wine question, but it has some similiarities.

C.

Real Life: Caolan McNamara           *  Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie          *  Phone: +353-86-8790257
Ask people to work against their better judgements