List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Elfdll stuff
From:       Alexander Larsson <alla () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       1999-06-29 11:30:02

I read today about the elfdll discussion in erics kernel cousins page.
I've worked a bit with these issues for the mozilla project.

My first try uses places exported symbols in a special section
(.text.export or .data.export) by using the gcc extension
__attribute__((section(".text.export"))). They i wrote a perl-script that
localizes all symbols not in the .export sections.

This mainly worked, but had some problems for inlined c++ methods that i
didn't solve.

Then i got a mail from Mike Shaver with some egcs patches that added
declspec(dllexport) support. So i redid all my patches (and had to make
some further egcs chages). This version uses __attribute__ ((dllexport)),
which places a string with the symbol-name in the .exports section of the
object file. Then i use a recent vresion of ld that supports the
-version-exports-section option to localize all symbols that don't have a
string in the .exports section.

Anyone interested in these methods?

/ Alex