List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Handling stack overflow
From:       "Erich E. Hoover" <erich.e.hoover () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-11-30 18:09:23

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 2:46 AM Stefan Dösinger
<stefandoesinger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anti-cheat / Anti-debugger / DRM systems usually don't tell you nicely if they
> think something is wrong. When they think you are trying to mess with them
> they usually pretend to proceed for a while, do something else and then at a
> much later point deliberately crash the process in a weird way. So your
> exception handler recursion might be the Anti-cheat's underhanded attempt to
> kill the process.

I would just like to second that, when I was getting Silverlight
working I ran down a number of rabbit holes trying to "fix" things
that the DRM was doing wrong on purpose.  It's my suspicion that they
tested it in some different VMs and found various "failing to fail"
ways to detect the presence of the virtualizer.

Best,
Erich