List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: The future of WineConf
From:       Giovanni Mascellani <gmascellani () codeweavers ! com>
Date:       2023-08-29 7:58:06

Hi,

Il 23/08/23 22:22, Zeb Figura ha scritto:
>> I think WineConf could benefit from more talks that are discussing not
>> "what was achieved"/news but rather how and in great depth.
>>
>> I would absolutely love to see talks from either you or Gofman, or
>> whoever doing deep dives into whatever crazy shit that I know nothing
>> about, random crazy stuff games do, ancient stuff like dshow, all the
>> weird red-herrings to fixing a bug.
> It sounds like what you're looking for is entertainment, at least primarily.
> And while I think there's certainly value in that, and also that an
> informative talk which is not engaging lacks something important, I also can't
> help but feel like it's not worth holding a conference for talks which for the
> most part aren't going to impart some valuable and useful information.

I can't answer for Joshua, but I didn't read his answer as primarily
oriented to entertainment. I think there are a lot of valuable lessons
and knowledge in the kind of topics he mentions, and of course some
entertainment too.

I also would like to have more in-depth content about Wine (and related
projects) at WineConf (or in whatever other form: any other conference
event, blog posts, developer screen casts). For example, I would like to
know more about the internals of WoW64, ARM emulation and all the glue
that does or will make Wine working on foreing architectures, but there
is basically no content around. I could spend a lot of time reading the
code and recovering the intentions from it, but it would be globally
more efficient if somebody who already knows spent a modest amount of
time giving a presentation about that, which would allow me and possibly
other interested folks getting up to speed quicker.

(and yes, I realize that could go in the other way too: even while being
relatively young in Wine I probably have something to share that is not
so obvious yet interesting for somebody else; that was my main
motivation for contributing my talk to WineConf 2022, though I'm not
sure the final result was really in the right direction)

> I imagine that the scope of XDC is much broader, too, and so it is easier to
> find new information. Or, alternatively, the number of XDC contributors is
> much higher, so whereas one can get a pretty holistic picture of what's
> happening in the Wine world just from watching wine-devel, that's not possible
> with Mesa and all its related projects.
>
> (And, to be quite frank, I get the impression that there are many XDC
> presenters who are much more charismatic than I am, or experienced at making
> engaging presentations. It's only a vague impression, since I didn't actually
> attend any such XDC presentations. Regardless, there's only so much effort I
> can put into presenting.)

 From my view point, the technical presentations are precisely those
where I really care about the content, much less about the presenter's
charisma. Indeed it's not unheard of, for me, that a presenter being
excessively funny feels annoying or gets in the wat of understanding the
content.

Gio.