List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: 8.0 release notes (draft)
From:       Eric Pouech <eric.pouech () orange ! fr>
Date:       2023-01-24 8:36:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

Le 23/01/2023 à 17:37, Alexandre Julliard a écrit  :
> Folks,
>
> The final 8.0 will be released shortly. Thanks to everybody who helped
> fix regressions!  We didn't quite make it back to the 7.0 count, but
> we've still made very good progress, with over 160 bugs fixed during
> code freeze.
>
> Below is the draft of the release notes, please have a look and let me
> know if anything is incorrect or missing. Thanks to Jacek, Nikolay, Rémi
> and Zeb for their help with this!

a couple of remarks:

from

*** WoW64

- WoW64 thunks are implemented for essentially all Unix libraries, enabling a
   32-bit PE module to call a 64-bit Unix library. Once the remaining direct
   PE/Unix calls have been removed, this will make it possible to run 32-bit
   Windows applications without any 32-bit Unix library.

and
*** Build infrastructure

- PE binaries can be built for multiple architectures from the same build tree,
   using the '--enable-archs' option to configure, for example
   '--enable-archs=i386,x86_64'. This can be used to enable the experimental WoW64
   mode, where 32-bit applications can run without any 32-bit host libraries.

shouldn't the second paragraph mention the fact that running without 32bit host lib
will only be avail after the removal of direct calls?

I also found that the part:
Since in case of configuration errors it is possible for it
   to be triggered inadvertently, applications started in this mode print the
   warning "starting in experimental wow64 mode".

is strangely stated... it could perhaps state that this is still WIP and shouldn't
recommend using it for now (even if the "starting in experimental wow64 mode"
could infer that)

from a support perspective, are we confident enough that we'll have enough information
to detect it?
- we have the "starting in experimental wow64 mode"
- absence of ELF libs in 32bit backtrace in winedbg is a good sign of it

*** Miscellaneous

- C++11 syntax is supported in function name demangling.

I'd rather say that (not sure if syntax refers to C++11 or the mangled names...):
- name demangling better supports C++11 features