List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: [WINE-CE] Wine-CE Can Run Cross Instruction Architecture Windows App
From:       Stefan_Dösinger <stefandoesinger () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-01-19 8:19:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

I'm a co-author of https://github.com/andrerh/hangover , which had similar goals.

I haven't tried to build your code yet. Sadly gitee doesn't let me look at anything \
without creating an account, although I could do an actual checkout of your Wine \
modifications. qemu is still making its way through my slow internet conenction.

From your description it sounds like you are using Wine's under-development \
windows-style multilib support to run parts of Wine as arm-native code and the rest \
as x86. You might be interested to know that we have similar plans. The idea is to \
handle this the same way windows on arm handles this by having an xtajit.dll instead \
of wow64cpu.dll that does the emulation entry/exit at the wine fake syscall level.

André started looking into this and had some success. I don't know if he published \
his code yet. Upstreaming something for that goal will likely happen after Wine 8.0 \
is released.

The big challenge is emulation speed. Games are a somewhat special case because a lot \
of CPU time is spent in drivers, which remain ARM native in Wine's hybrid approach or \
hangover (but not if you use qemu-linux-user). qemu is terribly slow, too slow to run \
most applications at acceptable speed. Other than d3d and maybe sound mixing, the \
windows DLLs do relatively little work and all CPU time is spent in the application's \
code, which remains x86 code and needs to be emulated.

Stefan