List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Cuda Applications on Wine - suggesting to merge wine-staging/patches/nvcuda-CUDA_Support patches
From:       "Erich E. Hoover" <erich.e.hoover () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-16 22:16:29

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 11:55 AM Esme Povirk (any/all)
<esme@codeweavers.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM Erich E. Hoover <erich.e.hoover@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > * I do not believe that our current addons (wine-gecko/wine-mono) have
> > a way to distribute files on the Unix side of the line, but I haven't
> > looked at this in a while
>

> This is correct, they only contain PE/Windows binaries. Distributing unix code in \
> this way would be more complicated because it needs to be available for all \
> platforms Wine supports, not just Linux.

If you were to take this route it would require building for all these
platforms and storing them with the information that allows you to
download the correct one ( like Python does with "wheels" /
https://stackoverflow.com/a/41645556/185828 ).

> I don't think that addons are a good fit for wrapping native libraries.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan either - the "autodetect the library at
runtime" approach is much easier.

Best,
Erich