List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Ubuntu 20.04 vs 32bit wine [-staging] - more detailed documentation?
From:       Sveinar_Søpler <cybermax () dexter ! no>
Date:       2022-09-09 20:04:57

On 07.09.2022 23:59, Floris Renaud wrote:
> On woensdag 07 september 2022 19:18:19 (+02:00), Sebastian M. Ernst
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > just burned *a lot* of time making Wine (Staging) for 64 and **32
> bit** work on Ubuntu 20.04 (Ubuntu 22.04 was a little less painful) as
> part of a Github action of mine.
> >
> > The official documentation that is very commonly referred / pointed
> to ("if it does not work, you did not follow the instructions there to
> the letter") ...
> >
> > https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
> >
> > ... misses a few, apparently constantly shifting details on the 32
> bit side of things. The "authoritative resource" on this topic appears
> to be this lovely long Github issue ...
> >
> > https://github.com/actions/runner-images/issues/4589
> >
> > ... which thankfully also provides up-to-date workarounds (with
> rather significant side-effects), like the following as of July 26:
> >
> > ```bash
> > sudo rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/microsoft-prod.list
> > sudo apt-get update -qq
> > sudo apt-get install -yqq --allow-downgrades libgd3/focal
> libpcre2-8-0/focal libpcre2-16-0/focal libpcre2-32-0/focal
> libpcre2-posix2/focal
> > sudo apt-get purge -yqq libmono* moby* mono* php* libgdiplus
> libpcre2-posix3 libzip4
> > ```
> >
> > See, in the following order:
> >
> > -
> https://github.com/actions/runner-images/issues/4589#issuecomment-980506595
> > -
> https://github.com/actions/runner-images/issues/4589#issuecomment-1100899313
>
> > -
> https://github.com/actions/runner-images/issues/4589#issuecomment-1123074635
>
> > -
> https://github.com/actions/runner-images/issues/4589#issuecomment-1194891446
>

> > I am not sure if (or how) this belongs into your wiki (of if it can
> even be fixed / worked around partially within the dependencies of the
> packages from WineHQ's PPA). But since the above mentioned Github
> issue is not easy to find between a lot of other related but less
> helpful "noise" in online search results (and takes a while to
> comprehend), it might warrant creating a central, well known place
> that documents this behaviour in an up-to-date manner.
> >
> > Either way, in all honesty, thx to everybody who keeps 32 bit
> support running. For better or for worse, it is still badly needed.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Sebastian
> >

> The WineHQ packages are created for a standard Ubuntu installation.
> The fact that a user also uses third-party PPAs is not supported.
> The deb.sury.org PPA is also often mentioned on the WineHQ forum as
> causing problems because it is not multiarch.
>
> While this is noted on the WineHQ Wiki [1], if I understand you
> correctly, this explanation could be more specific/ detailed.
> If you have any ideas on how to improve this text please post them on
> [...]
It is probably not too easy to install 32-bit version of wine(-staging)
in any reasonable way for 32-bit version of Ubuntu using distro provided
packages. Afaik there is a few lib's and packages not really being built
as "pure" 32-bit for Ubuntu, so if the wiki page starts to mention
various "hacks" for forcing/downgrade of packages you always end up with
the risk of people in some sort of desperation stumbling onto the wiki
page, not reading or understanding everything, then starts to run
various apt commands and completely break their system. Personally i
kind of feel this is not a "safe" approach.
Not saying you recommend this, but "apt -yqq" kind of sais "answer yes -
and do it quietly" to whatever apt package you install. Absolutely NOT
safe, as you might end up with "this will remove 83747 packages from
your system" without you seeing a message, and automagically answer
"Yes, please do!" to it.

Sad state of affairs for Ubuntu/Debian?.. yes... WineHQ's problem? Not
really, as they provide a working distro installable package(s), and it
is not "their" issue to fix distro quirks. Debian experimental has just
recently been building wine-7.0 package, and this may or may not trickle
down to Ubuntu 22.04 (certainly not 20.04 tho). They (debian wine team)
do not build staging and i think there was some consensus about not
building development packages as it was way too much work and problems
keeping that up to date. This may change in the future tho.

Just my thoughts

Sveinar