List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Linux desktop integration: Fill StartupWMClass in .desktop menu entries
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2017-04-22 5:50:00

On April 22, 2017 9:34:36 AM GMT+09:00, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, this would be an improvement, and I see no reason it couldn't be
> done, but I just want to point out that there are a lot of other cases
> that Windows is able to handle, and Wine could theoretically handle
> after more work and cooperation, including pinning programs for which
> no shortcut exists (yet).

Oh yeah I expected that - in this area there's always One More Case, and it comes \
down to trying to handle more and more of them to lift up the user experience over \
time.

I'd really like it if we could start with this to address the common case we're \
seeing in user bug reports (in both Plasma and the other DEs), and beyond that we can \
try to form a working relationship to address additional cases later. I've worked \
with some wine/CodeWeavers folks on similar integration issues in the past actually, \
but it's been ages and I lost all track of who was involved. It would be great to \
take that up again.

From our POV wine is something pretty unusual that behaves in quirky ways ... but \
because it's doing something valid and interesting usecase-wise it's also a good \
thing to look at to make sure specs and code cover that usecase. Many of our users do \
rely on wine, especially in professional deployments.

Do you see yourself taking a stab at writing a patch for this? I could try, but I \
lack the sort of broader context knowledge you just demonstrated, plus I don't know \
the wine codebase. What I can do super easily is test and serve as a general contact \
point for Linux shell people :)

Cheers,
Eike