List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: [1/3] kernel32: Set GetLargestConsoleWindowSize based on screen resolution
From:       Ken Thomases <ken () codeweavers ! com>
Date:       2013-03-27 23:43:34

On Mar 27, 2013, at 6:08 PM, Hugh McMaster wrote:

> Ken Thomases wrote:
>
> > > This approach is untenable.  Kernel32 can't be made to depend on X11.  It has \
> > > to still work when X11 isn't available.  Also, X11 is just one possible \
> > > graphics/windowing system that Wine can use, so it's not always the right \
> > > authority to consult about screen size.
>
> A fair point.  I hadn't considered that windowing systems such as XFree86 were \
> still in use. I'm too used to using distributions running X11.

More to the point, Wine doesn't necessarily use any variant of the X Window System.  \
On Mac OS X, it can use the Mac driver.  Other drivers are being investigated.

> > > Finally, your patch series is broken in the sense that each patch in the series \
> > > must still be able to compile.  You introduce a dependency on screensize.c in \
> > > the first patch but don't actually provide that source file until the third.
>
> So patches are applied one by one and then tested?

Yes.

> I thought patches in a series were applied at the same time.

No.  A series is used to indicate that later patches can't be applied before the \
earlier ones.  That is, for example, patch 2 requires that patch 1 already was \
applied before it can be successfully applied.  "Successfully applied" means all of: \
the patch applies, Wine builds, and tests succeed (at least as well as before).

Regards,
Ken