List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Sound problems with latest kernel -- formerly a pulseaudio
From:       Susan Cragin <susancragin () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2009-04-30 11:02:43

> > > After I started my testing, I did run into problems when I tried to re-install \
> > > pulseaudio and then remove it, but the PA problem was unrelated. Ubuntu said \
> > > there was a PA bug, and issued a fix. After I applied the fix, no more problems \
> > > working with pulseaudio removed. So the whole thing was sort of a red herring.
> > > I have re-installed my entire system since that problem went away, and \
> > > immediately purged pulseaudio, and that's where I'm working from now. Still \
> > > same problem.
> >
> > OK, thanks for that clarification.
> >
> > So you've tracked the problem down to kernel version 2.6.29? What
> > version of ALSA drivers are in your working and broken kernels?
>
> I've actually tracked it to before that.
>
> Wine's audio last worked with one of Ubuntu's generic kernels, probably 2.6.28-10.
> Ubuntu's current repository kernel is 2.6.28-11. That's the one I that caused the \
> problem.  The experimental bug-fix kernel is 2.6.28-12. That does not solve my \
> problem.  (Here's where I got the kernel: \
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~dtchen/test-kernels/ )
> When my kernel worked, my drivers were 0.1.19 -- one of Tashaki Iwai's daily stable \
> builds from a couple of weeks ago.  They are 0.1.19 now, today's daily stable \
> build, compiled against 2.6.29-1-rt8-custom, which is what I am running at the \
> moment.
> My 29-rt kernel is showing the same problems as the two kernels mentioned above.
> FWIW, the person who compiled the RT kernel said that he did so without applying \
> the Ubuntu patches. So that tells me that the change took place outside the Ubuntu \
> patches.

Well, this may be a pulseaudio problem after all. It may not be a wine problem.
For the first time this morning, I tried running audacity -- the linux version. (My \
system has pulseaudio purged.)  Audacity behaves the same way under Linux it does \
under wine, freezing when I stop and re-start the record function.  I filed ubuntu \
bug 369762.