List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC: Improving DOS graphics
From:       Ricardo Filipe <ricardojdfilipe () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-30 21:58:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2009/3/29 Daniel Kraft <d@domob.eu>

> Hi,
>
> I would be interested in working on WINE for Google Summer of Code (as I
> would like to get into WINE and learn more about it from the developer's
> side of view; I imagine this is a very educational and interesting
> experience in addition to being simply an interesting free software project
> to work on).
>
> On the ideas list is a project about improving handling of DOS graphics
> mode, this sounds interesting to me.  I've got good experience with C, C++
> and other programming languages as well as programming in general, but so
> far no knowledge at all about WINE apart from using it.
>
> Do you think this would be a good project to apply for and get into WINE?
>  (Thus both useful for the community as well as a good point for me without
> WINE experience so far.)
>
> Regarding free software in general, I've already worked with some projects
> including Mozilla and GCC, so I should be familiar with standard development
> practices involved.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Daniel

i for one would love to see this part of wine advance. i think it can even
be too much for a SoC, it's not that easy of a task, mostly because there's
not as good a documentation as for regular .dlls.

i don't have much info on the subject but i'd suggest you check Jeremiah
Fletchinger's patches that are not yet submitted and improve them if you
decide to take this role, as a first task.
i bet there are some people around who can give you more hints on what to do
and a good mentor :)