List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Keyboard Rewrite
From:       "Tom Spear" <speeddymon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-03-31 23:08:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 3/31/06, Willie Sippel <willie@zeitgeistmedia.net> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 31. M=E4rz 2006 21:33 schrieb Tom Spear:
> > Hi all, this is a call for volunteers.  I am hoping that certain
> developers
> > participating in another thread are willing to rewrite the keyboard
> code,
> > but we need people to test.  If you are interested, please reply here
> > saying that you are interested, and what kind of keyboard you use, as
> well
> > as the layout you use under X.  I will be creating a wiki page for this
> > project once the people who will be taking on this rewrite confirm that
> > they will do so, and will post the link to this thread as soon as it is
> > created.
> >
> > The purpose of this rewrite is to (hopefully) fix all of the problems
> > people have with key mappings, characters not showing up as expected,
> race
> > conditions, characters not showing up at all, etc, and hopefully allow
> us
> > to close out many of the bugs in bugzilla having to do with the
> keyboard.
> >
> > Thanks all in advance
> >
> > Tom
>
> If this is about testing, I'll gladly help. I use a German SUN Type6
> keyboard
> (only one control key, Compose key, SUN keys instead of Windows keys, no
> menu
> key) with German layout and swapcaps. I also used to use an application
> that
> crashes due to a regression in Wine's keyboard handling it seems - could
> be a
> nice test app.
>
> --
> Willie Sippel
>
>   ////////  |  Tritium Studios
> //         |  ______________________________
> //// ///    |  http://www.tritium-studios.com
>
> <willie@froq.net>
>

> Thank you all for your submissions.  Please keep 'em coming.  I am headed
home now, and will organize all emails for this thread into a different
folder on my machine so I can keep track of them.  If some devs come forwar=
and agree to start cracking on a keyboard rewrite, I will take my sorted
emails and create the wiki page.  I have the layout figured out in my head,
but it is kinda hard to describe.  You will see it in a few days, and I
think you will like it.

I do have a question for anyone who knows though.  There are 2 distinct
variations on the most common keyboard bugs.  Keyboard output gets sent to
console, or doesnt work at all; and these keys on my keyboard don't work or
dont work as expected, or this layout isn't recognized by wine and wine sai=
to report it here.  Is the first variation a bug in the keyboard code, or i=
it something to do with some other component of wine?  I ask because we
already have a metabug in bugzilla, and I don't want to link those bugs to
the metabug if they arent a bug in the keyboard code..  I'd rather link it
to a directx metabug (if there is one) or so forth.

Tom