List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: So lets say we do it
From:       <chrismorgan () rcn ! com>
Date:       2002-10-31 16:47:09

> From: Alexandre Julliard <julliard@winehq.com>
> Date: 2002/10/31 Thu AM 11:24:28 EST
> To: dpaun@rogers.com
> CC: Wine Devel <wine-devel@winehq.com>
> Subject: Re: So lets say we do it
>
> "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun@rogers.com> writes:
>
> > So the 5% left, install wine, install a Win-app, and play around.
> > Great, it works!
>
> You forgot a few things here:
>
> First it doesn't even start because they don't have a config file. OK,
> they copy one from somewhere, it doesn't work because the drives are
> wrong. Then they don't have the proper registry (winedefault.reg?
> what's that?)

I was going to reply yesterday on this issue. I help a fair amount of people on irc \
that have config problems and there are a few things we should probably do to fix \
this.

1. Check the wine config on startup.  If the config is missing or incorrect then \
launch a gui config app to fix things.  It would be best if this tool had two user \
options, one for an Automatic setup and another for an Expert setup.  We do a good \
job with wineinstall so I don't have much doubt that we could automate the config and \
satisfy 80%+ of users.

2. Make it easier for users to modify their configs via a gui tool.

3. Straighten out how packages(RPM, deb, etc) setup wine's config.  I'm not even sure \
how this is done right now and LOTS of people come asking for help saying they have \
installed an RPM version of wine but don't know how to configure it.  This might be \
completely solved by #1.

Chris