List:       wine-devel
Subject:    just for your info
From:       Igor <furlan () telocity ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 12:51:33

Found here:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-ivit.html?n-l-9262
the following:

W: But the trade-off is that you break backward compatibility to get there.

Mosberger: From a technical point of view, it's clearly what you want to do, and it's \
not quite correct to say it's breaking backward compatibility. Itanium is as backward \
compatible as anything else out there. The performance of x86 code isn't all that \
great, but quite frankly I use it every day to do Acrobat, Open Office, RealPlayer, \
those kinds of things. I think that point is overstated, especially for Linux, \
because all of the important open source software has been ported to 64-bit and \
recompiled native for IA-64, so the only things you need to run in emulation mode are \
those proprietary apps that, for whatever reasons, you can't get natively. And for \
those, it's just fine. Last week, I ran TaxCut under WINE on an IA-64 Linux machine \
and it worked fine -- even performance-wise.